Friday, February 14, 2014

Gluten Free Red Velvet Waffles with Coconut Cashew Cream



Happy Valentines day my dear friends!  Another holiday and with it an other excuse for themed food.  Best of all, themed breakfast.  Last year on this day I served up some 'pink velvet' pancakes with a cream cheese drizzle and this year I am bring you a slightly healthier twist to that.  Today I made my boyfriend and myself some gluten free red velvet waffles complete with a homemade coconut cashew cream sauce.  Simple, tasty, and healthier than your processed over-sugared breakfasts this breakfast will be sure to impress your loved one.



Ingredients:

2 cups of gluten free flour (I use Bob Mills GF all purpose flour)
3 teaspoons of baking powder
1 tablespoon of cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of ground flax meal
2 tablespoons of water
1 cup of non-dairy milk (I used vanilla soy milk)
1/4 cup of apple sauce
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 tablespoon of beet juice (or a natural red food dye)

Begin by heating your waffle iron.  Mix together ground flax meal and water and set aside to thicken.  Mix together all dry ingredients and then add the wet ones, including your flax meal mix.  Stir to combine throughly.  Spray your waffle iron with non-stick spray and pour half of the batter onto the iron.  Allow to cook for 5 minutes or so and then place in oven to keep warm while the second batch cooks.




Coconut Cashew Cream:

1/2 cup of cashews (soaked overnight or at least four hours)
1/3 cup of coconut milk
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
1 tablespoon of agave
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
Pinch of salt

While your waffles are cooking, prepare your cashew cream.  Place all ingredients in high speed blender and process until very smooth.  Taste and adjust sweetness accordingly.  Place in fridge until ready to serve.



Top your waffles with sliced fresh strawberries and your coconut cashew cream.  I like just a splash of maple syrup on top to finish off this tasty and romantic breakfast. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. This looks amazing! I am a waffle addict! I usually use the Babycakes NYC cookbook recipe but I love that yours is oil free!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! What's better than waffles!? (well maybe pancakes haha.) I do my best to omit oil when I can~

      Delete